Florida State Professor Murdered over Relocation of Ex-Wife and Children

In July 2014, Florida State professor Daniel Markel was shot outside of his home. Since then, many details have emerged about the motive behind his murder. In fact, several arrests were made this past year.

The government’s theory is that Markel was murdered because he filed a petition to prevent his ex-wife from relocating their children from Tallahassee to south Florida. Markel had been embroiled in a bitter divorce and custody battle with his ex-wife, and evidence suggests that he was the victim of murder-for-hire. While the police have not arrested his ex-wife, there is evidence to suggest that her brother organized and paid for the murder.

Relocation & Divorce

Fortunately, while few relocation cases will end in murder, Markel’s case is an example of the stress that these actions can cause. Usually on top of a divorce proceeding, relocation cases stir emotions and desperation from the party that will be left behind. It is very common for families to argue over relocation after a divorce, but most commonly a resolution is reached.

Generally, this is some sort of agreement to keep the children within a certain number of miles of the place where they grew up. This can also include requirements that either parent approve the children’s travel for vacations. Sometimes, the children are even relocated to a completely new area while one parent is left behind. As there are so many options for relocation agreements, it is important to seek counsel on these matters.

What to Do?

Someone attempting to relocate their child needs to contact the other parent and inform them of their desire to relocate. If the matter cannot be resolved between two parents, a petition can be filed in family court to both relocate and prohibit the relocation. It is common for parents to object to relocation, even if a good relationship exists between the parents. This is because relocation is commonly considered not to be in the best interest of the children. Barring exceptional circumstances, courts generally keep children in the same area as their parents.

Finding an Attorney

Anyone considering relocation or attempting to protest relocation should immediately contact an attorney. Relocation law is highly specialized and requires the full attention of appropriate counsel.

If you or a loved one lives in Tampa, Florida, and needs an attorney, the team at the Anton Legal Group welcomes your call at (813) 443-5249.