Father to Pay $101K in Back Child Support Payments

In early 2016 a Florida man was ordered to pay more than $101,000 in back child support payments.

51-year-old Jeffrey Kingman of Fort Lauderdale was ordered to pay $216 a week in child support in July 2007. Between August of that year and March 2011, Kingman had made 57 reduced payments of varying amounts totaling $12,150.

From October 2012 to September 2015, Kingman did not make a single child support payment.

Father Faces Up to Two Years in Prison

During the hearing, the judge stated that Kingman was both financially and emotionally harming his children for nearly a decade. The judge also pointed out that Kingman had full-time employment, so payments could be made through wage garnishment.

Should Kingman fail to make restitution or pay child support, he may spend up to two years in prison.

Can a Child Support Payment Be Modified?

Child support payments can almost always be modified (either increased or decreased) based on a number of factors. Some of the leading factors include:

  • If a parent has gained or lost employment
  • If a parent has become disabled
  • If there has been a change in a custody arrangement
  • If there has been a change in child care expenses
  • If there has been a change in the cost of living

It is possible for parents to agree on a modified child support amount. The modification will need to be made in writing and a judge will need to approve the change.

Should the Courts Become Involved?

It is not a requirement to have the court system involved in a child support modification. Keep in mind, however, that without having the courts involved it can be very difficult for you to enforce any kind of agreement which you and the other parent have made.

How Can Child Support Be Enforced?

When a child support arrangement is established, it must be obeyed. Otherwise a custodial parent should contact a family law attorney and/or contact the Office of Child Support Services.

A delinquent parent may be forced to pay in a number of ways:

  • Wage deductions
  • License suspensions
  • Federal income tax intercepts
  • Contempt of court

The Anton Legal Group provides a number of services for child support cases. We understand how to accurately determine child support payments and our expert team are well versed in presenting child support cases in court.

To speak to a child support attorney today, we welcome you to call (813) 443-5249 to schedule your appointment.